Friday, September 28, 2012

Whiskey Review: Blanton's Original Single Barrel Bourbon

Seriously, what a sweet bottle
Blue grass goodness! I was enjoying a family get together when my uncle brought out this little gem. I jumped at the opportunity to try a new whiskey and was decently impressed by this Kentucky native. Don't get me wrong, nothing extraordinary, but still worth trying! It was Blanton's Original Single Barrel Bourbon. He was testing it out and I was excited to try a new bourbon!





First off, a little about the whiskey itself...

Type: Bourbon Whiskey
Mash Type: Sour
Barrel Type: White Oak
Bottle Proof: 46.5% Alcohol by Volume - 93 proof

Color: Reddish Amber, deep russet
Nose: Dried citrus and orange with a hint of caramel and vanilla.
Palate: Full and smooth, caramel, orange, and spice- cloves/nutmeg maybe?
Finish: Short and sweet with vanilla and citrus.

My first glass was neat, like I try to do with every whiskey I taste. Then the next glass was with an ice cube. I recommend that everyone try both ways, for it can really change how the whiskey tastes. You might find it is great neat or even better on the rocks. Variety is the spice of life righ!? For this whiskey I loved it neat and was not impressed with the ice. The ice diluted this whiskey to a point not worth trying.

Anyway, the first taste was a smoothier and sweeter Maker's Mark. It was more vanilla and spice than most bourbons. Its complexity was actually quite unexpected and tasty. I might pick up a bottle pretty soon here. This didn’t blow me away, but I think it would look good in my collection, plus that bottle is awesome! Overall, I give this bourbon a strong 7.5 of 10.

Questions for YOU:  Have you tried Blanton's yet? I hear it has quite the following and want your opinion on this.

1 comment:

  1. Bought my first bottle of Blanton's over the weekend. Quite impressed. The owner of our local Spirits store actually brought it in personally as his favorite and recommended I try it.

    Incredible flavor. The finish was the best part. Blanton's vanilla flavor was so apparent but not overbearing to the rest of the citrus feel.

    I would recommend this bourbon to everyone. .750 was about 40-45 dollars (can't remember) absolutely stands in its own class for the price.

    ReplyDelete