Monday, April 15, 2013

Whiskey Review: Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey


A baller whisky from the West Coast. I first heard about Stranahan’s from a friend. He was raving about some new whisky from Colorado. I said, “Whisky from Colorado? That's about as crazy as whisky from Columbus!”. I am eating those words…

This is one of my favorites from west of the Mississippi. It has cool presentation, an interesting brand, and a rich taste. The first thing you notice is the tall bottle with the little metal shot glass. Now I never abuse my poor whiskeys by “shooting” them, but the glass is kind of cool. Upon further investigation you will notice handwritten notes on the bottle. They include the batch number, fillers name, and notes. I love this part and think it is awesome! My bottle says “Listening to Cake” and it was filled by Rowland. How personal is that?! Now it isn't a mind blowing idea, but it's different and I love the personal touch. It makes me imagine some kid my age, just jamming out to some Cake and working a long day. Pretty neat. Their brand story is cool too, you can read more here .

Now to the taste!

Color: Russet, brownish gold
Nose: musty, sweet like oranges
Taste: rich brown sugar, citrus
Body: medium, maybe a little syrupy
Finish: short and sweet, a little smokey

This is a great whiskey and should make bourbons think twice about the Westsiders. It's strong and spicy, but still smooth enough to make it very easy to drink. My only complaint: it’s a little pricey for the above-average taste. I still recommend everyone with a whiskey cabinet pick up a bottle, and support our whiskey loving friends in Colorado! I give this whiskey a respectable 8 of 10.

Questions for YOU: Ever have a Colorado whiskey? Any good? What brand? 


3 comments:

  1. Love your posts on whiskey! I've been a die-hard OYO drinker for a couple of years. LOVE their whiskey. Are you able to find this Colorado Whiskey out here in the Cleve anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have actually. There is a liquor store in Medina, Ohio on State Route 18 that had it. Not sure if they still do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete